Book Review: The Diary of a Reluctant Feminist

We didn't bother to fight with each other nor did we bother to fight for our relationship.
'The problem in my struggle for a divorce was in the small-print - as with everything in my life it read subject to my mother's permission. And since my mother was never going to allow me to divorce, I was relegated to being an armchair divorcee...So I decided, after two years of being separated, to stop waiting for my parent's elusive permission, and to take the initial steps in the painful journey myself. In this process, I was also branded as a feminist, which in their view was marginally worse than being a terrorist.

The Diary of a Reluctant Feminist is a profoundly funny chronicle of a young woman's attempt to get divorced as - opposed more by her own parents than her in-laws and her ex-she struggles to explain the flimsy grounds of incompatibility to her disapproving, old-fashioned, middle-class Punjabi family. Beneath the layers of this satirical account, lies an uncomfortable account of a failed marriage. Written in an easy and quick-to-read narrative style, the book is essentially a criticism against a particular style of parenting and spells against the established notion about marriage and divorce. As the blurb summarizes, this is a book for all those who have ever dreaded telling their parents an uncomfortable truth about themselves.

Book Information
Author:Bhavna Bhavna
ISBN:9789350096710
Binding:Paperback
Publisher:Hachette India
Year of Publication:2013
Number of Pages:Approx 200 with cover


Book Review: The Diary of a Reluctant Feminist

Fast and easy-to-read. I had received the review copy from Hachette India. Thank you Hachette India for giving me this opportunity. You can buy this book at Flipkart in case you live in India.

You may also like similar reviews available in the archive

1 Thought:

Sudheer Yadav said... Reply

I LOVE READING NICE BLOG FOR ALL READER AND I ALSO FOUND A ANOTHER BLOG FOR READER THAT IS http://guruofmovie.blogspot.in

Share a thought